How to Get to Gozo?
Although most of our tours at Yippee include transfers to Gozo from Malta as part of the package price, some of our customers prefer finding their own way to Gozo.
Here’s a quick summary of how to get to Gozo from Malta, but you can find more info below on this page:
- Quickest way from locations in Malta that are North/West of Valletta: Private taxi ride + main Gozo ferry. Get to Gozo in 1h-1:15h depending on your place of stay
- Quickest way from Valletta or locations South/East of the capital: Gozo fast ferry (+private taxi ride if you’re staying outside of Valletta)
Gozo Ferries: Two types
Two types of ferries can take you across the Gozo Channel from Malta:
Main Gozo ferry boat operated by Gozo Channel
The main Gozo ferry that sails between Cirkewwa (ferry terminal at northernmost tip of Malta) and Mgarr Harbour in the southeast of Gozo.
- This ferry is used by both foot passengers as well as vehicles.
- Tickets need to be purchased on your return from Gozo, so you can board the ferry in
- Malta without buying tickets.
- Most reliable ferry service between Malta and Gozo.
- Longest operating hours, from early morning till late evening.
- Return tickets cost €4.65 for foot passengers and €15.70 for car and driver.
- Trip duration: around 25 minutes.
Gozo Fast Ferries
- A second ferry operates from Valletta (ferry terminal location: Lascaris) and also sails to Mgarr Harbour, Gozo.
- Operated by two companies, with same ticket prices: Virtu Gozo and Gozo Fast Ferry.
- Schedule with trips limited to specific hours, changing frequently.
- Smaller vessels that only carry foot passengers and are more vulnerable to poor weather conditions. Trips are more easily cancelled in bad weather.
- One-way tickets for adults cost €7.50
- Trip duration: around 45 minutes.
How to get to Gozo from Malta
Option 1) Transfers with Yippee
If a transfer to Gozo is not included in your tour (for example, you’re booking a Private tour), you can request a quote with us to include a transfer with pooled transport or a private transfer.
Option 2) Using the main ferry
To catch the main ferry, you’ll need to get to Cirkewwa, either by:
- Private taxi transfer. We recommend any.cab
- Public transport. Several bus routes service Cirkewwa and you can find the best route to take using the Journey Explorer on the website of Malta Public Transport.
- Your rental car. Parking at Cirkewwa is limited if you decide not to take your rental car across to Gozo (which is possible). Closely follow the signs and avoid parking in spaces reserved for diving schools - you will be fined.
Option 3) Getting to Gozo from Valletta
The Gozo fast ferry services depart from Lascaris, on the East-side of Valletta (Google Maps location), where two operators take passengers on board a catamaran for a fast trip to Gozo.
The easiest way of getting here is via a private taxi ride (any.cab). You can also catch a bus to Valletta, but the main bus terminal and the ferry departure point are around a 15-20-minute walk away, so not ideal, especially in summer.